Friday, November 20, 2009

Pie night fiasco


We have been assigned the pies for Thanksgiving so Dusty has been baking pies every night for the past week trying to get the best pecan, chocolate and apple pie recipes. Not to mention, he is also trying different crust recipes. Well, my mom called the other day and decided that since it is our off year for Thanksgiving (that means we all go to the in-laws) she would have a pie night, and we all would bring a different pie and just eat too our hearts content. We wanted to try something different than what we have been eating for the last 7 days and when we were watching the Food Network Channel, Tyler Florence was making a Pumpkin Banana Meringue Pie that Dusty thought looked delicious. He decided to make that for pie night. Well, this is a very made from scratch pie, it took hours! We had to buy sugar pumpkins and cook them and then scrape out the insides, and roast the bananas, and buy a food processor to mix it all together, then bake it forever and whip up the meringue (I like that I'm making it sound like I helped. All I did was run back and forth to the store). The recipe made tons, we had three pies. We thought, "Great! We can eat one tonight, take one to my parents tomorrow, and give one to the neighbors". When the pie was finally done, we were all so excited to taste it! This is a Food Network gourmet pie for heaven sakes. After one bite we immediately scraped the meringue off and topped the pie with bottled whip cream. Meringue is GROSS! After a few more forced bites we all decided that this time consuming gourmet pie was no good. Our three pies went directly into the garbage. So, that was a waste of time! It was now 9:00 and we still needed a pie for the party the next day. I had to run to the store again, for the millionth time and Dusty whipped up our favorite chocolate pie from our taste testing week. It was delicious but I think that by the time Thanksgiving rolls around, we are going to be pretty sick of pie.

3 comments:

  1. well, now you have a food processor! I love that Dusty makes pies...that's great! I would say after all that, everyone would get a large Costco pie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why am I always making crazy faces in pictures!? I must just always have some type of crazy face on...cause it certainly isn't hard for the camera to capture them all! Your chocolate pic was DElicious! I wanted to eat more of it but I was all pied out by the end! Make it again sometime! Or give me the recipe...(if it isn't too hard!)

    ReplyDelete